Top 10 Tips for Getting the Most out of Visiting an Exhibition
Annette Scott is currently CEO of PROMOTA. She has been fully involved in the promotional merchandise industry for over 25 years and as such is well placed to give her Top 10 Tips for visiting an exhibition.
This is Annette’s advice:
Pre-planning is essential to ensure that your get the best result for your business from your exhibition experience. The plan ........
Before the show:
1. Review your business requirements and your business strategy for the coming year. What will be your key customer targets? You might use different promotional products to target large corporates, local medium businesses or particular business sectors.
3. Prepare a list of essential supplier companies to visit and include a) your key suppliers and b) new contacts.
4. Review the exhibitor list pre exhibition. Time spent doing a little research will pay off. Prioritise your key areas of interest and review your list at least once in the day.
5. Manage your time, book appointments, plan your route around the maze of stands and make sure you keep to your time schedule.
At the event:
6. Be prepared – an exhibition kit is a good idea, include a notebook and pen, a mini stapler to attach business cards to leaflets, small bags to separate any samples. A little overkill? At the time you think you will remember, but the memory fades at some point during the following days!
7. Use technology. If you have a Blackberry or iPhone, take pictures of QR codes and products – always ensure that you ask the exhibitor for their permission first.
8. Ensure you network – exhibitions are the ideal place to catch up with, not only your suppliers, but also your competitors. It’s amazing the tips you can share on new trends and ideas.
9. Remember, visiting exhibitions costs you or your employer money (travel costs, etc) and your time, so make sure that you get good value for money and use your time wisely.
10. Exhibitions are an essential part of running your business so make sure you do not let anything side track you from attending and ensure you get the most out of the experience.
Annette Scott, CEO, PROMOTA